Thursday, October 22, 2015

digital blog post # H

This chapter was a bit harder for me to find things to reflect upon in an inquisitive manner. This chapter is titled " Expressing Creativity with Multimedia Technologies" Maloy, et al (2013, 215) I guess as more of a list of different software programs, video creating software, etc it follows the title and concept of the chapter. But to me it is more just that. A list of programs or online tools to use with research backed findings about the good it does for the students. I do believe that those programs and tools help a student express themselves and what they have learned in a more creative way than a written paper would, but through reading the chapter it doesn't really have any better suggestions on the various types of media to use other than what I, most people my age, and young students already know exists. So in a sense this chapter was just a reiteration of what has been discussed in previous chapters.

I felt while reading this chapter I had a few more questions than answers. I find it very beneficial to incorporate these applications and usage in my future classroom, especially with the subject of math being the subject most students dread learning about. But while this book goes on to discuss how we must prepare our students for the 21st century learning and careers, it does not discuss how the transition of using all of these applications during the K-12 years will or does transition to college learning or teaching at such a level. My degree right now is for secondary education, but my masters and doctorate will be for college level teaching. So far in all of the colleges I have been to and in all of the college courses I have taken, most of these technologies are not currently incorporated.

So my questions are: has technology not caught up to the college level yet? Or with the huge amounts of material needed to be covered in a shorter time frame ( then a regular school year) are they dismissed for the 'old-fashioned' or 'traditional' ways of teaching and learning? Will all of this use of new technology and interactive approach in the K-12 years effect students in a bad way once they get to college and find that the classes are more paper pencil exams, lessons, and multi-page written papers?



I will try and incorporate visual displays of the math concepts I am teaching, like youtube videos, I am partial to the Kahn Academy videos myself and will more than likely incorporate those as well. I love the idea of my younger students (6th-12th) making posters to describe their understanding of math vocabulary and it's application, but I think paper posters may be better then digital so they can be put up around my room for all to see when they enter instead of on a class website.

Resources
Citrino, J. (Oct.22, 2015) Mindmapping. Cacoo.com/diagrams/WOqvYENjUbl4ivxs

Maloy, Robert, Verock- O'Loughlin, Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park. (2013).  Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA : Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up some excellent points and that questioning is definitely a type of reflection so you are right on target there. I would invite you to pursue additional research (at some point!) as to why there appears to be less technology use at the college level. Ultimately you will see the technology used in the K-12 system also used in the 'real' world and in most business - so what happened to higher education? a reflection of the 'ivory tower'? Definitely worth exploring - also like your mind map and see you experimented with a new tool (this appears to be a good one, but be sure that you check with me before you use when it's not on the list in the future so you can get credit for it).

    ReplyDelete